About University of Mysore
The University of Mysore was established on July 27, 1916. It is the sixth oldest in the country and the first in the state of Karnataka. Also, in a sense it is the first university of the country to be established outside the limits of the British India. The university was founded as a result of the efforts of the benevolent and visionary Maharaja of erstwhile Princely State of Mysore His Highness Shri Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar – IV (1884-1940), and the then Diwan Sir M. Visvesvaraya (1860-1962). It was the first University to be accredited by NAAC in 2000 with Five Star Status. The university is now ranked 36th in the India Rankings 2017, NIRF-MHRD, Government of India.
- Ranked 36th (University Category) and 57th (overall category) in India Rankings 2017 conducted by NIRF, MHRD, Govt. of India.
- Ranked 9th (State Universities) and 15th (India Universities)in India’s Best Universities 2017 survey conducted by Hansa- The WEEK National Ranking 2017.
- University of Mysore was the first University in the State that was accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in the year 2000 with Five Stars Status.
- Second cycle of re-accreditation by NAAC in 2006 with A+ Level.
- Third -time accredited by NAAC with a score of 3.47 on a 4 -point scale at A+ , preparation for the 4th cycle of re-accreditation is underway
- Recognized by Govt. of India as an “Institution of Excellence (IOE)” with a grant of Rs. 100 crores (in 2008)
- (Recognized as University with Potential for Excellence (UPE) in 2009 by UGC with a grant of 50 crores in (2012)
- Recognized Centre of Excellence in Potential for Excellence in a Particular Area (CPEPA) and was awarded grant of Rs. 9.5 crores which is being renewed in 2016
- Identified as one of the top 20 universities in Scientific publications and was awarded Rs.9.00 Crore under PURSE Scheme, and renewed for 2nd Phase in 2016 awarded 8.5 crore.
- Identified by Government of Karnataka (2009) as Innovation University
- The overall h-index (Web of Science) for published research: 42 with 3609 publications since 1986. Some faculty members of the University have a h-index of 18 and above.